Area of Specialization:
- Program / Project Management: situation analysis; program planning and development of interventions; implementation
- Project/Programme Monitoring and Evaluation, Baseline Surveys
- HIV and AIDS/ Reproductive health research
- Epidemiology of infectious diseases
- Health Education and Promotion including Behaviour Change Communication
- Community Health and Health Services Management:
- Public health oriented Curriculum development and review
Research and Publications
- Okwara FN, Oyore JP, Were FN, Gwer S, 2017 Correlates of isoniazid prophylaxis failure for tuberculosis prevention among child household contacts with infectious tuberculosis in high burden settings in Nairobi, Kenya - a cohort study. BMC Infectious Diseases. Doi: 10.1186/s12879-017-2719-8.
- Ndenda C. Oyore JP, Orago ASS, Gichangi P, 2021, Association of Birth Companionship by Former Traditional Birth Attendants with Birthing Experiences of Parturient Women in Kakamega County, Kenya, THE INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HUMANITIES & SOCIAL STUDIES ISSN 2321 – 9203.
- Ndedda C1, Orago A2, Oyore J2 and Gichangi P3, Acceptability and Feasibility for Scale-up of the New Birth Companion Role of Traditional Birth Attendants in Kakamega County, Kenya, Elixir Food Science 122 (2018) 51680-51684. 4. Francis O. Oguya1*, Patrick R. Kenya2, Francisca Ongecha2,3, Patrick Mureithi
- Helgar Musyoka5, Nicholas Muraguri5, Ben Mundia4, Caleb Angira6, Mohammed Shose7, Taib A. Basheeb8, Abdalla Ahmed Mohamed9, John P. Oyore10, Rapid situational assessment of people who inject drugs (PWID) in Nairobi and coastal regions of Kenya: a respondent driven sampling surveyBMC Public Health (2021) 21:1549https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-021-11373-
- Makau GM, Okwara FN, Oyore JP: 2015 ‘Early Infant Diagnosis’ and treatment of HIV among HIV exposed and infected infants in Baba Dogo and Kariobangi slums, Nairobi County, East and Central African Medical Journal 2078 - 5909 2 (2): 80- 88. 9
- GM Makau, FN Okwara, JP Oyore Determinants of early infant diagnosis and treatment of HIV among exposed infants in informal settlements in Nairobi, Kenya East Cent Africa Med J 2, 74-9.
- Mwitari J M, Odondi J O, Mutea L, Makiko K S, Oyore J P, The impact of implementing community strategy on maternal and child health outcomes in Kenya, Time Journals of Medical Sciences Report and Research , Vol. 3(1):38-40. August 2015, www.timejournals.org/tjmsrr.
- GW Nyongesa, JP Oyore, P Mwaniki, Assessment of factors influencing infant feeding practices among HIV positive mothers in RONGO Sub County, Migori County, Kenya.
- S N Mambo, JP Oyore, FO Obare : Assessing long acting and permanent family planning methods uptake among women of reproductive age in Kilifi sub county, Kilifi County ISSN 2319- 9725http://www.ijirs.com/vol3_issue-11/4.pdf.
- B Obura, S Cheboi, GO Otieno, JP Oyore, JG Kariuki (2016) Contextual analysis and perceptions of health workers on migration: Perspective from Kenyatta National Hospital Staff, Nairobi Kenya, Journal of advances in Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences 8 (2), 1-11.
- Mulingwa W. Margaret, Oyore P. John, Otieno G. Ochien’g, Performance of community health workers in Njiru District, Nairobi County, Kenya, International Journal of Medical and Health Research, ISSN: 2454-9142, www.medicalsciencejournal.com, Volume 2; Issue 2; February 2016; Page No. 04-2.
- Peter Memiah, John Oyore, Tristi Ah Mu, Jeremy Penner, and Sam Muhula, Bridging the Gap in Implementation Science: Evaluating a Capacity-Building Program in Data Management, Analysis, Utilization, and Dissemination in Low- and Middle-Income Countries. Population Health Management VOL. 21, NO. 3 Original Articles.
- Gabriel O Dida; Francis Oguya; Patrick Kenya; Francisca Ongecha; Patrick Mureithi; Helgar Musyoka; Nicholas Muraguri; Ben Mundia; Caleb Angira; Mohammed Shose; Taib A. Basheeb; Abdalla Ahmed Mohamed; John P. Oyore; Otieno G. Ochieng; Saade Abdalla; Reychard AbdoolRapid Assessment of Injecting Drug Users (IDUs) in Nairobi and Mombasa counties, Kenya: A Respondent Driven Sampling Survey.
- Mbugua Gathoni Ruth, Oyore J. P., Mwitari James. Role of Monetary Incentives on Motivation and Retention of Community Health Workers: An Experience in a Kenyan Community Public Health Research 2018, 8(1): 1-5 DOI: 10.5923/j.phr.20180801.01.
- Okwara., F.N, Oyore J. P, Were.,FN and Gwer S, Correlates of isoniazid preventive therapy failure in child household contacts with infectious tuberculosis in high burden settings in Nairobi, Kenya, BMC Infectious Diseases (2017) 17:623 DOI 10.1186/s12879-017-2719-8. 10
- Mwangi P, Oyore JP, Njogu E. Association of children’s nutritional status with caregivers’ hygiene and sanitation conditions in Kiandutu Informal Settlements, Kiambu County, Kenya. Int J Health Sci Res. 2019; 9(10):275-280.
- EW Ndungu, FN Okwara, JP Oyore (2018), Cross sectional survey of care seeking for acute respiratory illness in children under 5 years in rural Kenya, Am J Pediatr 4 (3), 69- 79.
- Wairiuko W. Judy, Cheboi K. Solomon, Ochieng George, Oyore John P. Understanding the Context of Healthcare Access among the Elderly in Informal Settlement Kibera, Nairobi, Kenya.JHSR. 2015; 5(11): 259-269.
- JM Wairiuko, SK Cheboi, GO Ochieng, JP Oyore, Access to healthcare Services in Informal Settlement: perspective of the elderly in Kibera slum Nairobi-Kenya, Annals of Medical and Health Sciences Research 7 (1), 5-9
- Cheptum JJ, Oyore JP and Okello-Agina BM, Factors contributing to poor pregnancy outcomes in public Health Facilities in Kenya: Africa Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health, 6th edition October – December 2012 issue.
- JP Oyore, ASS Orago, I Mwanzo and GW Odhiambo-Otieno., Determinants of Adherence to Art among Patients Attending Public And Private Health Facilities in Nairobi, Kenya. Journal of AIDS and HIV Research Vol. 5(3), pp. 70-74, March, 2013 Available online .http://www.academicjournals.org/JAHR DOI: 10.5897/JAHR10.020 ISSN 2141-2359 ©2013 Academic Journals.
- Okwara FN, Oyore JP, Were F. The Challenges fraughting isoniazid prophylaxis as a child tuberculosis prevention strategy in high Burden settings in Nairobi, Kenya. East and Central Africa Medical Journal 205; 2(1): 39-45.
- Florence Nafula Okwara1*, John Paul Oyore2, Fred Nabwire Were3 and Samson Gwer4,5, Correlates of isoniazid preventive therapy failure in child household contacts with infectious tuberculosis in high burden settings in Nairobi, Kenya – a cohort study., BMC Infectious Diseases (2017) 17:623 DOI 10.1186/s12879-017-2719-8.
- GW Nyongesa, JP Oyore, P Mwaniki, Assessment of factors influencing infant feeding practices among HIv positive mothers in RONGO Sub County, Migori County, Kenya.
- 8.2 Articles in conference Proceedings
- Oyore , John Paul Presented a paper on Fire disaster preparedness and Risk factors in secondary schools, the case of Siaya District , Kenya.” at PeriPeri U Consultative Meeting, Imperial Royale Hotel Kampala, Uganda Hosted by the Makerere University School of Public Health, 11th to 12th May 2009
Participation in Workshops and Conferences
- Attended a GEMNet-Qualitative Evaluation Method - Training of Trainers (TOT) Workshop held in Cuernavaca, Mexico, from February 17th –28th February 2017.
- Attended a GEMNet-Health Impact Evaluation (IE) Training of Trainers (TOT) Workshop held in Accra, Ghana from Monday, May 2 –Tuesday, May 10, 2016.
- Attended a workshop on “Impact Evaluation for Health Professionals Short course” by KEMRI , University of Berkeley and Innovations for Poverty Action in Kenya, KEMRY Headquarters on 18th January 2013
- Attended a Workshop on World Bank Group’s Impact Evaluation training on “Innovating in Design-Evidence for Impact in Health” by the Worldbank and Development Impact Evaluation Initiative (DIME) in Hilton Hotel, CapeTown South Africa ,10th to 14th December 2012
- Attended a workshop on Stata (A statistical Package for data analysis) Implemented by Tulane University (USA) and Kenyatta University, Held at Kenyatta University, Nairobi
- Attended a HIV/AIDS curriculum induction Training workshop by KU and UNDP HIV/AIDS ToT Team , Held at Kenyatta University, Nairobi
- Attended a “Malarial Anaemia and Related Co-Infections Training” by University of Pittsburgh and KEMRI from 24th -28th January 2005
- 2013 – UNFPA – Workshop to Build Capacity of selected Consultants to support countries in RHCS in Lusaka, Zambia: 24-28 June 2013
- 2011:Kenyatta University and APHIA II Evaluation, Workshop on Introduction to Stata, February 28 – March 5, 2011, Kenyatta University, Nairobi, Kenya
- 2010: Training dialogue on integrating gender and gender-based violence care training in the pre-service health professionals training curriculum at Kenyatta University, 5-7 July. North Coast Beach Hotel, Mombasa.
- 2010: Monitoring and Evaluation Skills Building Workshop for Master of Public Health (M&E Concentration) in the Department of Public Health, School of Health Sciences, Kenyatta University. -Nakuru, Merica Hotel 29th March – 1st April, 2010
Presentation of papers at Academic and Professional Conferences
- Cheptum JJ, Oyore JP and Okello-Agina BM, Maternal referral, a contributor to poor pregnancy outcomes, presented at Canadian Conference for Global Health, Ottawa- Canada, 27th – 29th October 2013
- Cheptum JJ, Oyore JP and Okello-Agina BM, Factors contributing to poor pregnancy outcomes among women of reproductive age in Keiyo district, Kenya. Egerton DAAD Alumni conference, Nakuru, 13th – 16th November 2012
- Impact of HIV and AIDS in the Informal Sector in Kenya a Workshop organized by the National AIDS Control Council and Kenya Private Sector Advisory Network (KPSAN) at the Silversprings Hotel, Nairobi
- Community Based family planning a workshop organized by the Ministry of Public Health and Sanitation , Division of Reproductive Health – 12th January 2012 Panafric hotel , Nairobi
- Oyore , John Paul: Presented a paper on Fire disaster preparedness and Risk factors in secondary schools, the case of Siaya District , Kenya.” at PeriPeri U Consultative Meeting, Imperial Royale Hotel Kampala, Uganda Hosted by the Makerere University School of Public Health, 11th to 12th May 2009
Convening and coordinating conferences
- Member of a Scientific Steering Committee that Coordinated the Second National Biennial HIV and AIDS Research Conference