Dr. Kenneth Kamuri Ngure
Title/Qualifications: DR. (PhD)
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
Articles in Refereed Journals
- Ngure K.K (2016) Language Endangerment:Illustrations from Marsabit County. University of Nairobi journal of language and linguistics Vol.5 (2016), 142-160.
- Ngure K.K (2016) The Perimetric Contribution of Language in Identity Construction; a case of the Burji of Northern Kenya. Journal of Arts,Science and Commerce. Vol VII, Issue 2(1), April 2016
- Ngure, K. K and D. Karuru (2015) “Language and Identity within the Decision Theory Framework: The Case of the Rendille People of Kenya”. International Journal of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences Vol. 3 No. 8.
- Kanyi, C.M. and K.K. Ngure (2017) “Facets of the Concept of Syntactic Control of Matrix Language in Codeswitching Instances in Mwea East Sub-County”. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, Vol. 7 , No. 7
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Chege, K., Wagacha P. W., De Pauw Guy, Muchemi L., Ng'ang'a W., Ngure K., and Mutiga J. (2010) “Developing an Open source spell checker for Gĩkũyũ”. Proceedings of the Second Workshop on African Language Technology (AfLaT 2010) published by European Language Resources Association (ELRA).
- Ngure, K.K. (2015) From Rendille to Samburu; A Consequence of Compromised Linguistic Fidelity. Cologn: Rudiger Koppe Verlag.
Chapters in Book (s)
- Ngure K.K (2018) “The Diminishing Vitality of Rendille: A Consequence of Intercultural Contact between Rendille and Samburu” in Ndungo, C.M.;L.C.Mwita; P.M.Y. Ngugi;J.S.Makokha and D. Ngugi 2018 (eds) From Asmara 2000 to Narobi 2014: Trends in African Languages and Literatures.Nairobi: Kenyatta University Press.
Participation in Workshop/Conferences
- Participated in the workshop on the Research and Advocacy Group for Hunter Gatherer Education held on 21-22 July, 2018 in Penang, Malaysia.
- Participated in the Fourth Conference on Language Contact in Times of Globalisation held on 16-18 March 2017 in Greifswald, Germany.
- Participated in an International Conference on Multilingualism held in Kenyatta University, Kenya 22-23 July 2010.
- Participated in the Writing for Publication workshop whose theme was “Translingual Practices, gestures, media, style” organized by African Urban Youth Language (AUYL) in Kenyatta University on 11th December 2015.
- Participated in KDSA/DAAD Scientific Paper Writing Workshop held at Kenyatta University on 24-27July 2013.
- Participated in a conference organized by DAAD and University of Nairobi on the theme “Across Borders: Benefitting from Cultural Differences” held on 17th-18th March 2005 at the University of Nairobi.
Presentation of papers at Academic and Professional Conferences
- Presented a paper entitled “A rose by any other name would not do: the struggle for change of an ethnonym by the Waata of Kenya” during the 12th Conference on Hunting and Gathering Societies in Penang, Malaysia, on 23-27 July 2018.
- Presented a paper entitled “All things Rainbow’: A Lexical-Semantic Analysis of the Language of LGBT Communities in Nairobi County, Kenya” during the International Congress of Linguists held in Cape Town, South Africa on 2-6 July 2018.
- Presented a paper entitled “Class and identity marking Among the Youth in Rural Kenya: A case of Githungu kia nguku in Mwea Sub-County” during the International Congress of Linguists held in Cape Town, South Africa on 2-6 July 2018.
- Presented a paper entitled “Converting a Night Owl to a Homing Pigeon: Espousal of Sheng in Church” during a workshop on the Kenya Youth Language Practices held in Kenyatta University on 19-20 June 2018
- Presented a paper on “Maintenance of linguistic diversity as an impetus to development” during the celebrations to mark International Mother Language Day held at Kenyatta University on 23rd February 2018.
- Presented a paper entitled “Sticking out one’s Head in the face of Assimilation: the Struggle for Identity Maintenance among the Waata of Northern Kenya” at a seminar hosted by Chama cha Kiswahili cha Taifa (CHAKITA) held in Mombasa, 8-9th September 2016.
- Presented a paper entitled “Tone in Rendille”at a seminar on Tone in African Languages hosted by the Department of English and Linguistics at Kenyatta University, May 16-17 2016.
- Presented a paper on “Identity Formation with or without Language: the Case of Selected Ethnic Communities From Marsabit County” at a seminar organized to commemorate World Mother Tongue Day held at the University of Nairobi on 23-25th February 2016.
- Presented a paper entitled, “The Importance of Ethnographic Explanation as an Accompaniment to Translation of Aphorisms; Illustrations from Rendille Proverbs Translated into English”at the First Regional Conference on Translation and Interpretation Studies held in the Centre for Translation and Interpretation, University of Nairobi on 18-19 February 2016.
- Presented a paper on “Entrenchment of Sheng in Church: Illustrations from a Pentecostal Church in the Eastlands of Nairobi, Kenya”International Conference on African Urban Youth language held in Kenyatta University, Kenya on 11th -13th December 2015.
- Presented a paper on “Lexical Borrowing in Samburu: Evidence of Contact between a Nilotic and a Cushitic Language.” at the 12th Nilosaharan Colloquium held at the University of Nairobi on 1st -4th September 2015.
- Presented a paper on the topic “When the Culture is ‘Unwell’, what happens to Language? at the University of Nairobi’s Departmental Seminar held on 29th July 2015.
- Presented a paper on “The Impact of Language Endangerment on Development: Illustrations from Marsabit County” at a Seminar to commemorate World Mother Tongue Day held at the University of Nairobi on 18th-20th February 2015.
- Presented a paper entitled “The Diminishing Vitality of Rendille: A Consequence of Intercultural Contact between Rendille and Samburu” at the International Conference on African Languages and Literature in 21st Century held in Kenyatta University on 6th-8th 2014.
- Presented a paper entitled “Forging Linguistic Identity with or without Language; a case of the Burji of Northern Kenya” at the International Conference on African Languages and Literature in 21st Century held in Kenyatta University 6th-8th 2014
- Co-presented a paper on “The Choice of the Language of Instruction in a Language Shift Situation; A Case of the Rendille Community of Northern Kenya” at the Practising Multilingualism in (Higher) Education in Africa-GANAA Summer School, Pretoria, South Africa 23-27 September 2013
- Presented a paper on ‘The Loss of Prenasalisation: the case of the Northern and Southern varieties of Gikuyu’ in the 2nd Linguistic Symposium organised by the Department of Linguistics and African Languages on 21st-22nd September 2005.
Convening and Coordinating Conferences
- Coordinated a seminar on “Meanings of a Positive HIV Diagnosis among People Living with HIV in Kenya: Findings from a Phenomenological Study” in which a sociologist was invited to speak on 18th October 2017 at the Kitui Campus of Kenyatta University.
- Convened and coordinated a seminar on the interdependency between Language and Culture on 20th September 2017 at the Kitui Campus of Kenyatta University.
- Involved in the coordination of the First Regional Conference on Translation and Interpretation studies hosted by the Centre for translation and Interpretation, University of Nairobi on 18th-19th February 2016.