Prof Joy Joan Apiyo Obando
Author Links: ORCID IDDownload Full CV
Joy Obando holds a PhD (Geomorphology), MSc (Geography) and BED (Geography and Mathematics) She is currently an Associate Professor in the department of Geography, Kenyatta University. Joy is a mentor, researcher and is involved in research, training and community outreach. She has 31 years education and research experience in academia at university level having as Graduate Assistant in 1989. Through the Capacity Building for Integrated Watershed Management, she developed the curriculum for the Masters programme (MSc) in Integrated Watershed Management. She is a Co-Investigator in the BRECcIA Project. She is a member of the steering Committee of the International Geographical Union (IGU) Geomorphology and Society Commission; and also a member of the International Advisory Board of Water Resources Research Center (WARREC) and of the CRC-TR 228 Future Rural Africa project. She is also a member of the University Research Advisory Board at Kenyatta University. Joy is involved in initiatives aimed at enhancing the quality of the next generation of academicians. She served as Director Financial Aid Office at Kenyatta University from 2009 to 2014. She is involved in research, training and community outreach. She has facilitated and mentored early career scientists through grant writing activities. Currently her research focuses on watershed management and water (in) security.
- Mutua, S., Ghysels, G., Anibas, C., Obando, J., Verbeiren, B., Van Griensven, A., Vaessens, A & Huysmans, M. (2020). Understanding and conceptualization of the hydrogeology and groundwater flow dynamics of the Nyando River Basin in Western Kenya. Journal of Hydrology: Regional Studies, 32, 100766, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214581820302408
- Asokan S.M., Obando J., Kwena B.F., Luwesi C.N. (2020) Climate Change Adaptation through Sustainable Water Resources Management in Kenya: Challenges and Opportunities. In: Leal Filho W., Ogugu N., Adelake L., Ayal D., da Silva I. (eds) African Handbook of Climate Change Adaptation. Springer, Cham, http://nai.diva-portal.org/smash/record.jsf?pid=diva2%3A1453347&dswid=-8575
- Muiruri, Philip Gathogo, Joy A. Obando, and Ishmail O. Mahiri. "Journal of Environmental & Earth Sciences." Journal of Environmental & Earth Sciences 65 (2020): 65881289. https://ojs.bilpublishing.com/index.php/jees
- Kathuri, N.J, Kisovi, L.M and Obando, J.A. 2020, Socio-economic determinants of food insecurity at household level in Makueni County, Kenya, International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, Volume 10, Issue 7, July 2020, DOI: 10.29322/IJSRP.10.07.2020.p10310, http://dx.doi.org/10.29322/IJSRP.10.07.2020.p10310
- Kathuri, N.J., Obando J.A. and Kisovi, L.N. 2020, Household Coping and Adaptive Strategies Undertaken by Households to Enhance Food Security in Makueni County, Kenya, International Journal of Humanities and Social Studies: Volume 8, Issue 6, June 2020 10.24940/theijhss/2020/v8/i6/HS2006-066, http://www.internationaljournalcorner.com/index.php/theijhss/article/view/153599
- Gabiri, G., Diekkrüger, B., Näschen, K., Leemhuis, C., Linden, R. V. D., Majaliwa, J. G. M., & Obando, J. A. (2020). Impact of Climate and Land Use/Land Cover Change on the Water Resources of a Tropical Inland Valley Catchment in Uganda, East Africa. Climate, 8(7), 83. https://www.mdpi.com/2225-1154/8/7/83
- Balfour, N., Obando, J., & Gohil, D. (2020). Dimensions of water insecurity in pastoralist households in Kenya. Waterlines, 39(1), 24-43. https://www.sciencegate.app/doi/abs/10.3362/1756-3488.19-00016
- King-Okumu, C., Jaafar, H., Aboukheira, A. A. S., Benzaied, M., Obando, J., & Hannachi, A. (2019). Tracing the trade-offs at the energy-water-environment nexus in drought-prone urbanising regions. Arabian Journal of Geosciences, 12(20), 639. http://nora.nerc.ac.uk/id/eprint/525905/
- Muchanga, M., Sichingabula, H. M., Obando, J., Chomba, I., Sikazwe, H., & Chisola, M. (2019) Bathymetry of the Makoye Reservoir and its Implications on Water Security for Livestock within the Catchment, International Journal of Geography and Geology, 2019 Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 93-109 DOI: 10.18488/journal.10.2019.83.93.109, http://www.conscientiabeam.com/journal/10/abstract/5669
- Makokha, M., Obando, J. and Omweri, Z. 2019, Demographic Rise effect on water supply systems in Urban Higher Learning Institutions: Case Study of Kenyatta University, Sriwijaya Journal of Environment, http://dx.doi.org/10.22135/sje.2019.4.2.85-96
- Bangura, A. K., Obando, J. A., Munene, I. I., & Shisanya, C. 2019, Conducting Research and Mentoring Students in Africa, https://www.codesria.org/spip.php?rubrique65
- Gafna, D. J., Dolos, K., Mahiri, I. O., Mahiri, J. G., & Obando, J. A. (2017). Diversity of Medicinal Plants and Anthropogenic Threats In The Samburu Central Sub-County of Kenya. African Journal of Traditional, Complementary and Alternative medicines (AJTCAM), 14(5), 72-79.
- Shisanya, C., Onywere, S. and Obando, J. (2017) Water Resources Management for Food Security in Kenya: Case of Bwathonaro Catchment. Open Access Library Journal, 4, 1-16. doi: 10.4236/oalib.1103524.
- Luwesi, C. N., Obando, J. A., & Shisanya, C. A. (2017). The Impact of a Warming Micro Climate on Muooni Farmers of Kenya. Agriculture, 7(3), 20.
- Sonwa, D.J., Dieye, A., El Mzouri, E.H., Majule, A., Mugabe, F.T., Omolo, N., Wouapi, H., Obando, J. and Brooks, N., (2016). Drivers of climate risk in African agriculture. Climate and Development, pp.1-16.
- Obando J.A., Onywere, S.M., Shisanya, C.A, Ndubi, A.O., Masiga, D., Irura, Z.N., Mariita,, N. and H. O. Maragia, H.O. (2016), Impact of short-term flooding on livelihoods in the Central Kenya Rift Valley Lakes; Chapter Geomorphology and Society, Editors E. Meadows, Michael and Lin Jiun-Chuan Series - Advances in Geographical and Environmental Sciences, eBook ISBN 978-4-431-56000-5, Available at: http://www.springer.com/us/book/9784431559986, Springer Japan
- Comte, J-C, Cassidy, R., Obando, J., Robins, N., Ibrahim, K., Melchioly, S., Mjemah, I., Shauri, H., Bourhane, A., Mohamed, I., Makokha, M., Noe, C., Mwega, B., Join, J-L, Banton, O. & Davies, J. (2016). 'Challenges in groundwater resource management in coastal aquifers of East Africa: Investigations and lessons learnt in the Comoros Islands, Kenya and Tanzania'. Journal of Hydrology: Regional Studies. DOI: 10.1016/J.EJRH.2015.12.065
- Obando, J. A., Luwesi, C.N., Mathenge, J. M., Kinuthia, W., Wambua, P.P., Mutiso, M.N., and Bader E.O., 2015, Performance Assessment and Evaluation of Community Participation in Water Sector Governance: The Case of Ngaciuma-Kinyaritha catchment, Mount Kenya Region, in Beyene A. (Ed) Agricultural Water Institutions in East Africa, Current African Issues 63, Nordiska Afrikainstitutet, Uppsala 2015
- Muthee, M. Waswa, F. and Obando, J. (2015), Emerging Land Use Changes-Climatic Variability Nexus in Meru County, Journal of Environment and Earth Sciences, ISSN 2224-3216 (Paper), ISSN 2225-0948 (Online) Vol. 5, No 20, 2015
- Muthee, M., Obando, J. and Waswa, F. (2015). Perceptions and Truism of Climate Variability within Smallholder Farming Communities in Meru County, Kenya, Journal of Scientific Research and Reports, 9 (1): 1-12; Article no. JSRR. 20239, ISSN: 2320-1227
- Gabiri, G. Obando, J.A., Tenywa, M. M., Majaliwa, J.G., Kizza, C.L., Zizinga, A. and Buruchara, R. (2015). Soil and Nutrient Losses under cultivated bush and climbing beans on Terraces Humid Highland Slopes of southwestern Uganda, Journal of Scientific Research & Reports, 8 (3), 1-16, Article no. JSRR. 18113, ISSN 2320-0228
- Mapfumo, P., Onyango, M, Honkponou, S., El Mzourid, E.H., Githeko, A., Rabeharisoa, L., Obando, J., Omolo, N., Majule, A., Denton, F., Ayers, J. & Agrawall, A. (2015), Pathways to transformational change in the face of climate impacts: an analytical framework, Climate and Development, http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/tcld20
- Opiyo, F. Wasonga, O.V., Nyangito, M.M., Mureithi, S. M., Obando, J. and Munang, R. (2015), Determinants of perception of Climate Change and adaptation among Turkana pastoralists in north-western Kenya, Climate and Development, http:://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17565529.2015.1034231
- Ontumbi G, Obando, J. and Ondieki, C. (2015), The Influence of Agricultural Activities on the Water Quality of the River Sosiani in Uasin Gishu County, Kenya, International Journal of Research in Agricultural Sciences, Vol. 2. Issue 1, ISSN (Online) 2348-3997
- Ngonzo, L.C, Shisanya, C. A. and Obando, J. (2015) Optimization of crop water requirements under fluctuating rainfall regimes in a semi-arid catchment area: evidence from Muooni dam site, Machakos district, Kenya,
- Shisanya, C.A., Luwesi, C.N., Obando, J.A. (2014), Innovative but Not Feasible: Green Water Saving Schemes at the Crossroad in Semi-Arid Lands Innovative Water Resource Use and Management for Poverty Reduction in Sub-Saharan Africa: An Anthology (OSSREA), pp. 137-172, ISBN: 978-99944-55-75-1
- Akombo, R. A., Luwesi, C. N., Shisanya, C. A. and Obando, J.A. (2014) Green Water Credits for Sustainable Agriculture and Forestry in Arid and Semi-Arid Tropics of Kenya, Journal of Agri-food and Applied Sciences, Vol. 2(4), pp86-92, 30 April 2014, E-ISSN:2311-6730
- Draphor, S. Obando, J. A. and Obiero, K., (2014) Demographic Characteristics of House Ownership Status Influence on Water Demand in Ruiru Municipality, Kiambu County, Kenya, Middle-East Journal of Scientific Research 19 (60: 858-868, ISSN 1990-9233 DOI: 10.5829/idosi.mejsr.2014.19.6.11592
- Chris Allan Shisanya, Cush Ngonzo Luwesi, Joy Apiyo Obando (2014). “Innovative but Not Feasible: Green Water Saving Schemes at the Crossroad in Semi-Arid Lands”. In: OSSREA (eds.), Innovative Water Resource Use and Management for Poverty Reduction in Sub-Saharan Africa: An Anthology (ISBN: 978-99944-55-75-1), Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, pp. 137-172